The following tool has been developed in the frame of the Empowering project which has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 programme.
The Capacity Building Needs Assessment (CBNA) is performed to collect information from Local Energy Board (LEB) organizations on what are their needs in terms of capacity building for sustainable energy planning and implementing, as well as their current status regarding the topics envisaged by EMPOWERING project.
The main challenge in organizing the CBNA - and consequently in drafting the Capacity Building Programme - was to identify the most effective intervention for generating a relevant impact in the regions targeted. One of the objectives is to identify the target of intervention and the desired consequences of the actions carried out.
The focus on individuals will envisage improving the skills and competences, based on human resources (who), through the development of skills at all levels of the professional hierarchy within public authorities, including:
- Training of different categories of staff
- Traineeship programmes for on-the-job-training
- Learning networks
The focus on entities is structured on the following units:
- Processes: (“how”, in terms of rules, procedures, tools, working methods) through:
- Modernising and optimising the internal processes
- Improving the interaction between institutions and with stakeholders
- Improving the delivery and quality of services
- Organisation/structure: (“how”, in terms of structure and organisation of departments, functions etc.) through:
- Developing appropriate administrative structures
- Resources: (“what”) mainly covering:
- Informational and technical resources;
- Development and implementation of human resources strategies and policies covering the main gaps in this field.